Community involvement is the key to a successful Main Street Program.
The Main Street Program is comprehensive and incremental. Small projects and simple activities lead to a more sophisticated understanding of the revitalization process and help develop skills so that more complex problems can be addressed and more ambitious projects undertaken in the future.
- Cleaned up the south side of the square in preparation for revitalization.
- Completed demolition of unsafe buildings on the square.
- Created and introduced a new festival entitled Bonnie and Clyde Days designed to involve residents and draw visitors.
- Designed and introduced a new logo for the city, which has the flexibility to be used by all city, civic and volunteer organizations.
- Established a Farmers' Market on the square.
- Hired a new Main Street Director.
- Initiated a Matching Funds FaÃ?Â§ade Grant program designed to encourage building owners to renovate their buildings.
- Launched "4Square" a website and volunteer program designed to identify volunteers interested in helping the square.
- Managed a well attended Christmas On-The-Square event.
- Started construction on new sidewalks for the square.
- Welcomed a new business (380 News / 380 Guide) to the historic district (212 South Washington Street)
- Welcomed a new retailer (Notoriously Yours) to the square who took advantage of the Neighborhood Empowerment Zone agreement.